History

Liidlii Kue, “the place where the rivers come together” is a village on the Dehcho Region of Canada’s Northwest Territories.

The community is located on an island where the Mackenzie and the Liard River meet. For centuries, this was the location that the Dene people would gather each summer to meet, celebrate and trade. The name of the community soon changed with the establishment of Fort of the Forks in 1803, and later named Fort Simpson, after the Governor of Rupert’s Land, George Simpson.

There are five tribal groups of Dene that have evolved into what is now referred to as the “Denendeh” which means “the Creator’s Spirit flows through this Land”.²   These five tribes have evolved their own language and customs and are the:
o   Gwich’in in the Mackenzie Delta Region,
o   North Slavey in the Sathu Region,
o   South Slavey in the Dehcho Region,
o   Chipewyan in the South Slave Region, and the
o   Dogrib in the North Slave Region.

Today, it is a village is the cultural and political centre of the Dehcho Region. With a population of 1,291, the community is home to a wide variety of people and race.